Job vacancies for Biosphere Discovery Tour Guides
Diffusion Events is recruiting Biosphere Discovery Tour Guides. This exciting job opportunity is ideal for candidates who have strong communication skills and are passionate about the natural and cultural heritage of Dublin Bay Biosphere.
1. Nature of Position:
This role is a for temporary part-time period of employment for the Dublin Bay Biosphere Partnership Biosphere Discovery Tour programme on board Dublin Bay Cruises running for 11 weeks from end June until the beginning of September 2018. The employer is PBM Productions Ltd t/a Diffusion Events. The company is contracted to provide services to the programme. A probation period of two weeks will apply.
2. Place of Work:
The place of work will be onboard the Dublin Bay Cruises vessel, the St. Bridget, embarking at Berth 1,East Pier, Dún Laoghaire. The tours will operate from 9:30 and conclude at 16:45 on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday each week for the duration of the programme. You will be rostered for two full days each week, unless otherwise agreed. The work-days may vary, with occasional special tours in the evening time. There will be paid training time carried out by arrangement in the week prior to commencement of the programme.
3. Job Function:
The position is Biosphere Discovery Tour Guide, and the main responsibilities are**:**
- Passengers are greeted on shore as they board the vessel.
- The tour commentary commences soon after departure, once the statutory safety announcements, made by boat crew, are complete.
- The day is divided into distinct trips, each approximately 1 hour and 15 mins in duration, between Dún Laoghaire, Dublin City and Howth.
- A portable audio system is provided for communicating with passengers.
- All tour commentary is given on the outdoor deck of the boat as far as possible.
- Scripts and background information on the points of interest on the trip will be provided, and the guide will engage appropriately with the passengers onboard the boat to provide them with this information.
- Information provided on the Biosphere Partnership and about this project is a key part of the tour and should be given on each individual trip throughout the day.
- Customer feedback is important and surveys will be provided, in hard copy and online, passengers are to be encouraged to complete these.
- All operational and safety matters in relation to the cruise are managed by Dublin Bay Cruises and are outside your scope of responsibility. You must obey any safety instructions given by the boat crew.
4. Standard of Dress:
All Employees are expected to conform to an acceptable standard of dress to ensure that the image presented to customers, colleagues and associates is in keeping with the proper professional approach of the Company and Dublin Bay Biosphere Partnership. You will be provided with branded workwear, which must be worn at all times while on duty.
5. Candidate Requirements
- Scientific background and knowledge of local biodiversity and heritage desirable
- Understanding of aims of UNESCO Biosphere designation
- Experience in guiding and managing tour groups an advantage
- Clear speaking voice and experience with public speaking and presentations
- Ability to memorize and recite facts clearly and accurately and in an engaging manner
- Fluent English
- Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm and collected when dealing with challenging guests
- Passion for learning and willingness to continue to acquire relevant knowledge
- Willingness to work outdoors
Send a CV and cover letter by email to Brid Boland at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday June 1st 2018.
Interviews will most likely take place on Friday June 8th. Training will take place during the week of June 18th. The Summer Biosphere Discovery Tour Programme will run from Friday to Monday inclusive from June 22nd to September 3rd.