Citizen Science is a great way for members of the public to contribute to important research projects and learn new skills while enjoying nature in Dublin Bay Biosphere. There are numerous projects to choose from, catering for all levels from beginners to more experienced Citizen Scientists, and many provide free training. Some can even be done in your own back garden!
Here are some examples of projects that you can participate in:
- Bat Conservation Ireland - various monitoring projects including the All-Ireland Daubenton’s Bat Waterways Survey (August)
- BirdWatch Ireland - numerous volunteer surveys and projects with opportunities available for all levels of experience (year-round)
- Coastwatch Europe - All Ireland Coastwatch Survey, an annual survey of the state of the coast (September and October)
- Irish Peatland Conservation Council - Hop to It National Frog Survey (year-round)
- National Biodiversity Data Centre - Biodiversity Maps, an online system to submit species observations and participate in several recording initiatives and monitoring schemes (year-round)